Saturday, February 11, 2006

SWAS Post #1: Reed Colleg, Portland Oregon

So I'm sitting in a little teahouse in downtown Olympia the morning after our firts show at Reed College in Olympia, and feeling pretty acomplished. After a bumpy dress rehearsal on the 9th, we worked out some tech and staging bugs and everyone did really great sets. The Reed students (all 250 of them, literally in the rafters) were great...responsive , really feeling it.

I ended up closing the show, which was something I was concerned about doing given the potential for implicitly colonizing the space with my body ( I'm the only guy in the tour set). I'm really trying to be carefull about respecting that space. The energy and flow of the show, as well as the structure of our sets really worked with me going last ("Yeoman Johnson" kind of works to a cresendo anyway, but I was surprised at the energy and the nature of the response.)

I'll be posting here intermittently about interseting happenings, but be on the lookout for a post for ecah and every show ( New College is allowing me to use this tour as my MFA practicum, so I'm doing a ton of writing about technical and performance stuff, some of which I'll be incorporating here.)

will holla back later, and hope to see you in your city.



xo



Juba

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home